Saturday, January 21, 2012

I hate Alzheimer's

Today is a good day for Dad. He is talking up a blue streak. And recalling so many stories. This is a very sporatic thing. We never know what each day will be like. And, we never know for sure how much he knows as far as the present tense. On days like today, he talks alot, but it is the same story, repeated...over and over. I don't mind for the most part. The only time it gets to me is if I am seriously in really bad pain.
Mostly, it hurts to a certain extent. Dad was born and raised in Louisana, ragin' cajan, LOL!! And Oh Lordy, what an incredible cook!! Several vegatables I swore I would never, ever like, I ate here at this home and Wow, nom nom yum yum good. Dad was drafted for WWII, in the Army. One day, in a mess hall, a General overheard my father-in-law (Dad) say "the food  isn't fit for dogs!!" The General asked my Dad if he could do better. That is how my Dad turned from an awesome Cajan/Southern Cook to a formally trained Chef. Not only was he a wonderful Chef, he was a born leader. He never asked someone to do something he would not do himself.
At the end of WWII, there were no longer any available for Dad's position in the Army. Dad had already made up his mind the he wanted to be a career military man. So, he re-enlisted with the Air Force. He was assigned to a General, and at several bases, he was able to have Officer's Quarter's so he could be more acsessable to the General. And the first thing he would ask the General would be "make a list of all of the foods you do not like". Then, that is what he would cook.
I have always been a "Caregiver", as the oldest in a dysfunctional home, I was "The Fixer". Or, looking back.."The Bossy One" But as an adult, from the time I was 18, and my infant daughter was diagnosed with a form of Childhood Cancer, Exter-Renal Wilm's Tumor, I have taken care of someone.
To think, if I had not been hit by a neighborhood kid on a bicycle...yes, I did say bicycle...I would've went in the Navy to fly Jets. That was my dream, go to community college for 2 years and enlist. Boy did my life turn out so totally different than I ever expected.
I am who I am, and I am pretty happy knowing who I am inside...but no longer caring so much what others think. The people who love me most, are the ones that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment